The main reason why I came to Japan was to attend the International Conference on Robotics and Automation. I presented a paper on the first day, then got to enjoy the rest of the conference stress-free. I won’t bore people with the details of the conference, but I will mention that I got to see KeepOn! They had one hooked up to a WiiFit board, so that it would “dance” with you, depending on how you shifted your weight. And another thing, we get the cutest bento boxes for lunch!
One night my advisor offered to take everyone in the lab out for Kobe beef. But unfortunately I had to attend an event for students who had received a conference travel grant. I later learned that they didn’t end up ordering the actual Kobe beef (over $100/person!), but the beef they did end up eating was still very good. I’ll have to try Kobe beef the next time I’m in town...and when my wallet can afford it.
On the last day of the conference, they announced that cases of swine flu had been reported in Kobe, so we would need to wear the face masks that they had given us. I tried wearing mine for a while, but it made my glasses fog up, so I gave up on that idea.
On the last night, after the conference was over, I went out with some Hopkins labmates and some USC people I met to explore the downtown area. One of the bars we went to had a very interesting dynamic. There was an American band playing, and there were Japanese men and women, but only American men. We just watched the American men tried to interact with the Japanese women.
Tonight I stayed at a ryokan – a traditional Japanese hotel. The ryokan was so adorable! Upon entering, you take off your shoes and are given slippers to wear (there are actually separate slippers for the toilet room). Everything in the ryokan seems like it was made for someone my size – narrow hallways, low ceilings, etc. I loved the style of the building, little garden with koi fish, tatami mats to sleep on, but I did NOT like the toilet here. It’s pretty much a toilet that’s level with the ground, meaning you have to squat…
No comments:
Post a Comment